Elsie May’s – opening soon in Phoenix Lane, Tiverton
Posted on: 18 July 2014
Mid Devon District Council is pleased to report that the Council- owned premises at the former TIC in Phoenix Lane has now been let to local entrepreneurs Steve and Mandy Jenks.
Mr and Mrs Jenks are proposing to develop and open a family-run café/coffee shop with a 1940’s and 50’s feel and style. The new business will be called “Elsie May’s” after Mrs Jenks late grandmother who was very well known in the Tiverton area for her professional cake making and catering skills.
The new business will comprise a family-run café/coffee shop mainly selling good coffee, teas, cold drinks, cakes, freshly made doorstep sandwiches and baguettes, breakfasts, salads and other snacks. In addition there will be a kiosk selling food and drinks “to go” for people waiting to catch a bus or passers-by.
Richard Chesterton, the Councils Cabinet Member for Planning and Economic Regeneration said:
“We are really looking forward to the opening of this new venture in this key location in Tiverton. Elsie May’s is a very appropriately themed new family business and will add a great new offer in the town appealing to the many visitors, residents and commuters who walk up Phoenix Lane on a daily basis. It is great to see this former TIC building being put to such an appropriate use, it will provide a very attractive entry point to Tiverton.”
- 30th September 2013 – The Phoenix Lane Tiverton TIC closes its doors to the public.
- October 2013 – TIC Building is cleared and the new Tourist Information Service is started in the Tiverton Museum of Rural Life.
- October 2013 to Feb 2014 – TIC Premises marketed for a range of Commercial uses In total 9 parties showed real interest in the building with a total of 4 serious offers were made. However for a variety of relevant commercial reasons none of these offers were pursued to a completion stage.
- March 2014 – An approach by Mr and Mrs Jenks was made about a 1940’s /50’s themed café.
- April to June 2014 – Business planning , development planning and legal negotiations for the Jenks “Elsie May’s” development
- July 2014 –Lease completed and Building Works /Fitting out commenced
- Early August 2014 – Planned opening of Elsie May’s.
For more information please contact:
Amy Tregellas, Head of Communities & Governance
Tel: 01884 234246