Council pledges support for Gas Safety Week

Posted on: 13 September 2013

Mid Devon District Council has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (16-22 September), to raise awareness of gas safety issues.

This third annual Gas Safety Week will see the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety issues to the forefront of people’s minds. Dangerous gas work can kill. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  In the last year, 333 people were injured and four people died as a result of gas related incidents.

Paul Williams, Head of Environmental Services at Mid Devon District Council said: “Gas Safety Week gives us the opportunity to put gas safety at the top of everyone’s priority list. Making sure your gas appliances are safe to use could save your life. Alongside Gas Safe Register we want people to understand the real risks unsafe gas work poses and help people to stay gas safe.”

Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great therefore, that Mid Devon District Council has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 21 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”

Follow these simple checks to stay gas safe:

  • Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this.
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
  • Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Check you know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Check you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

For more information or to find Gas Safe registered engineer visit or call 0800 408 5500.

Background information

Four people died from gas related incidents in the UK last year and 333 non-fatalities were reported (Source: HSE RIDGAS statistics 2011/12 (provisional))

For media enquiries relating to Gas Safe Register or Gas Safety Week please contact Gas Safe Register press office on 0207 654 2199 or email

Gas Safe Register is the government approved registration scheme for gas engineers in UK, Isle of Man and Guernsey. The register of over 120,000 gas engineers aims to protect the UK’s 21 million gas consumers from dangerous gas work. It is a legal requirement for any gas engineering business or self employed gas engineer carrying out domestic and commercial gas work to be registered, and comply with the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

Gas Safe Register assesses the competence of engineers on the register by inspecting a sample of the gas work they carry out to make sure they are safe to work on gas.  Gas Safe Register is focused on gas safety and campaigns to raise awareness of gas safety risks, including those associated with using illegal gas workers.

Gas Safe Register deals with all aspects of the downstream gas industry covered by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It covers both piped natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Gas Safe Register replaced the CORGI gas registration scheme in Great Britain and Isle of Man on 1 April 2009 and in Northern Ireland and Guernsey on 1 April 2010.

Follow Gas Safe Register on Twitter @GasSafeRegister and find us on Facebook.


Be the first to Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Posted in: Community | Housing | My Council